Activists protest outside the offices of the “Sinjali” news portal on August 17. Photo: BIRN.

Kosovo Activists Protest Media Outlet Reporting on Suicide Cases

Kosovo’s suicide prevention centre Life Line has called for greater accountability in media reporting on suicide, protesting outside the offices of the Sinjali news portal over the publication of private images and details about victims.

Under the slogan “Suicide is not a spectacle,” activists from the Life Line group protested on Monday against what they described as the irresponsible publication of sensitive information, photographs, and videos involving suicide victims, survivors, and their families.

The protest was organised in response to what Life Line called “repeated violations of privacy and ethical reporting standards in coverage of suicide and suicide attemps.”

Life Line, or Linja e Jetes, is a suicide prevention hotline in Kosovo which was opened in 2019 during the Covid-19 quarantine. It provides confidential emotional support to people who are struggling, including people experiencing suicidal thoughts or feelings. The hotline is staffed mainly by volunteers.

Life Line co-founder Bind Skeja accused the Sinjali news portal of publishing private videos, photographs, and information about victims and survivors, saying such material turns “personal tragedy into content designed to attract views.”

“Sinjali knows our most difficult moments, it knows when we are at the height of grief, it knows where we live, and it knows where we die. And it takes all this information, packages it, and sends it out for public consumption,” Skeja said during the protest.

The event followed several reports by Sinjali that Life Line claim violated basic standards for reporting on suicide.

Sinjali did not respond in Kallxo’s request for a comment.

On August 14, the portal published photographs of a girl who committed suicide, along with details about how the death occurred.

On August 11, Sinjali also published video footage showing a person surrounded by police, reported as attempting to commit suicide in front of police officers.

Skeja said the protest was organised partly to support families and individuals affected by such reporting.

He called for institutions and society to respond to the publication of sensitive information and take measures to prevent similar cases in the future.

The Kosovo Journalists Association, AJK, has also criticised Sinjali’s reporting.

In a statement on August 14, the AJK expressed “deep regret and disappointment” over what it described as the portal’s “repeated violations of the Code of Ethics when reporting on human tragedies.”

The association said irresponsible reporting on suicide is particularly concerning when it involves revealing the identity of victims or publishing details about the circumstances of a death.

“Every report must take into account the public interest and the protection of the privacy of private individuals involved,” the AJK said.

The association stressed that journalists have an obligation to, “balance the public interest with the privacy and dignity of individuals and families.”

Following the recent reports, Life Line has urged people who believe they have been affected by unethical media coverage to contact the Centre for Strategic Litigation, CSL, which provides legal assistance and expertise.

“They can guide you on which rights have been violated, help you draft complaints, and address the competent institutions to demand accountability,” Life Line said in a statement on August 14.

The organisation said legal support could help victims and families determine whether their rights had been violated and what remedies may be available.

18/08/2026 - 13:19

18 August 2026 - 13:19

Prishtina Insight is a digital and print magazine published by BIRN Kosovo, an independent, non-governmental organisation. To find out more about the organization please visit the official website. Copyright © 2016 BIRN Kosovo.